T.C. STEELE State Historic SiteWe felt and believed that here in this hill country were evidences of a character in the outdoors that would command of us our best and finest spirit.
Selma N. Steele
The House of the Singing WindsTheodore Clement Steele (1847-1926), noted Indiana artist and member of the Hoosier Group of American regional impressionist painters, was inspired by the picturesque scenes that he encountered in Brown County. In 1907, Steele and his second wife, Selma Neubacher Steele, purchased 211 acres in Brown County and began construction of their home, which they named The House of the Singing Winds. They built the Large Studio to accommodate Steele’s work and landscaped the surrounding hillsides to enhance the beauty of their property. Selma Steele created several acres of gardens around the home that are enjoyed by visitors today.
The T.C. Steele State Historic Site includes the last home and studio of Indiana artist Theodore Clement Steele (1847-1926) and his second wife Selma Neubacher Steele (1870-1945). Steele, a member of the noted "Hoosier Group" of American Impressionist painters, was attracted to Brown County by the scenery he encountered while hiking in the area. The site's 211 acres of wooded hills and ravines inspired the artist to paint some of his most famous works. As Indiana's premier portraitist of the late 19th and early 20th centuries, Steele also painted many of Indiana's "rich and famous." These industrialists, philanthropists, educators, and political figures are the people whose stories fill our history books.
|From 1907-1921 the Steeles wintered in Indianapolis. They established a home in Bloomington when Steele became artist in residence at Indiana University in 1922. Each spring they returned to their Brown County property. As Steele’s reputation grew, an increasing number of visitors were attracted to Brown County to meet the artist and to see his work and estate. Steele was at the forefront of the state’s art movement, and is still one of Indiana’s most honored artists. His appreciation of nature, combined with his intelligence and his capacity for concentrated study, raised his works to an extraordinary level.|
The T.C. Steele State Historic Site, bequeathed to the
state of Indiana by Selma Steele at her death in 1945,
is a fitting tribute to this Indiana artist.
Guided tours are offered through The House of the Singing Winds and the Large Studio where changing exhibits display paintings done throughout Steele's life. The site includes four hiking trails, the Dewar Log Cabin and the 90 acre Selma Steele Nature Preserve. Mrs. Steele's gardens display a festival of flowers from spring to autumn.
The Historic Site is located 1 1/2 miles south of Belmont, off of State Road 46, nine miles west of Nashville Indiana, and ten miles east of Bloomington Indiana.
Phone: (812) 988-2785Friends of T.C. Steele website